Thursday, 4 October 2012

Using a Git Branch to fix a Bug

On Git I don't tend to use branches for big code changes, and the only time I tend to use them (on development) is when trying new code changes or fixes.

For example I was working last night on a CRSF fix for TeamMentor (more on that later) and I created a new branch using ($ git checkout -b crst_test) which contained a number of temp commits, like the ones that selectively disabled some Admin security demands so that I could debug the issue better :) :



As you can see by the Commits, I did a number of changes that where only pushed to the crst_test branch ($ git push origin crst_test:crst_test) and not be propagated to the main code base.

Then then once I finally found the issue and fixed (see last commit), I went back to the the main branch ($ git checkout master) added my fixes, commit them and pushed them to the master branch ($ git push origin master).

At the moment this is what the main repo looks like:


The final step is to remove the local branch ($ git branch -D crst_test) and the branch from GitHub ($ $ git push tm_master --delete crst_test), which after GitHub recreates the graph (sometimes it takes a couple minutes), it looks like this:


Post a Comment