I think these are beautiful analogies which really explain the differences between the multiple types of communications:
From Brand Illustrated we that:
- Marketing is when the Man says to the Women: "I'm a great lover"
- Telemarketing is when the Man says to the Women (over a phone): "I'm a great lover"
- Public Relations is when a Paid 3rd Party says to the the Women: "Trust me, he is a great lover"
- Advertising is when the Man puts repeated messages out there (for the Women) saying: "I'm a great lover. I'm a great lover. I'm a great lover."
- Design is when the Man loves the Women
- Branding is when the Women says to the Men: "I understand you are a great lover"
In Marketing vs. Brand we get that:
- Advertising is when the Artist says to the User : "I'm a great artist, I'm a great artist, I'm a great Artist"
- Social Media is when the Artist says to the User: "Follow Me on Facebook and Twitter. I would like to get to know you better. have you checkout out my Work?"
- Public Relations is when a Paid 3rd party says to the User: "Have you heard he is a great artist? Everyone is talking about Him"
- Direct Marketing is when the Artist sends something to the User: "I sent you a [e]mail piece that is tailored just for you. It shows some of my work that I'm sure you will like"
- Brand is when the User says to the Artist: "I know you are a great artist! Everyone is talking about you. Your works are masterpiece"