When I posted to reddit a link to my recent Eclipse Groovy script to remove the 'busy' image from the WebBrowser Editor post, the thread what I hoped would happen would be one around the idea of 'fixing in real time minor (but-very-annoying) issues that exist in the IDEs that we use everyday'
After all, there are very few IDE environments that allow that kind of real-time programatic access to the current running IDE (which allows the creation of new 'plugin-like functionality' without needing to run an 'IDE dev instance' on the background).
For reference, the reason why I took the time to develop the Eclispe Grovy REPL Scripting Environment, was because I did the same on this VisualStudio C# REPL extension, and knew how powerful (and useful) it was to have the ability to 'script the IDE'
Back to the reddit there, in a probably predictable way, the only comment I got on that thread:
.. was to stop using such 'crappy IDE':
Unfortunately this is actually a common theme on the Eclipse world, where there is a 'group think view' that eclipse sucks, its bloated and not really innovating.
Well, I hope that you can see by the number of blog posts that I've written so far (31 at the moment), that I don't share this view.
And here was my answer
But it is going to be an uphill battle since the mood out there is very anti-eclipse. Here are a couple posts that turn up on google (indexed by date):
- [Oct 2013 ] Battle of the Java IDEs: Eclipse vs. NetBeans vs. Intellij IDEA
- [Sep 2013 ] Why we dropped Eclipse in favour of IntelliJ (serverside thread)
- [Sep 2013 ] Why we dropped Eclipse in favour of IntelliJ (plumbr blog)
- [Aug 2013] Is IntelliJ IDEA Community any good? I'm sick of Eclipse crashing
- [Jul 2013 ] Is intellij better than netbeans?
- [May 2013] Eclipse vs. IntelliJ: a simple matter of little things (the link is broken, and I think the author wanted to point to this Android development: Choose right IDE presentation)
- [Mar 2013] Netbeans or Eclipse? Which do you use? (with lots of 'use IntelliJ' comments)
- [Mar 2013] Why IDEA is better than Eclipse
- [2013 ] How is IntelliJ better than Eclipse?
- [2013 ] Things possible in IntelliJ that aren't possible in Eclipse?
- [Jan 2012 ] Intellij vs. Eclipse
- [Feb 2007 ] Is it me or is eclipse a piece of shit
In trying to find a balanced view (ie. posts with comments from the people who love Eclipse), I really struggled:
The only positive note that I could find was from Jan 2013 where in the Which IDE do you prefer, Netbeans, Eclipse or IntelliJ? Eclipse had the majority of votes.
I'm sure there is a large number of happy Eclipse users out there (I'm one of them), but as you can see by the links above, there is an 'internet group-think' mode at the moment in favour of IntelliJ.
Update: if you want to add your views on this question, but prefer to use reddit, here is the thread about this post